Tuesday 26 July 2011

July 21-26th, MOAR LEARNING

Thursday, Friday, Saturday, it was all a blur of academia and alcohol.  There were lectures, there were seminars.  The normal things. I spent a good time hanging out with one of my better friends Sarah, attempting to get some work done on the Maths class problems but having very little success.  I was in the bar from about 8, she joined about 9:30, we waited for Demetri till about 10:15 and then headed up to her room to work where it was quieter from there.

Friday was math day.  Well, minor math day.  I had a lecture just a bit later in the morning than usual so I got to sleep in a bit.  Math was from 2-6.  Another grueling session.  I don't wish to really speak of it, as it is truly a painful memory.  Afterwards I headed straight to the bar (which, in this case as normal, is a pretty quiet place) and worked on more math problems.  Yes, they assigned about 4 problems (solving four problems in class time would take about 4-5 hours) for homework from 6 that evening to 9 the next morning.  I got maybe one of the answers right, and the rest that I came up with was just completely wrong.  C'est la vie.

Saturday was the day we had all been waiting for; the last grueling day of math.  But the last one!  By god, we would be under the knife of the Hungarian mathematicians from 9-3, but then we would be free less a final exam.  But no, that was not our fates.  Around 2:30 we were informed that we would not be getting out at three, but we would be getting out at 5.  It was the most tragic news I had heard in the past few months.  The few hours seemed like a few extra days.  I should mention at this point that the course had turned from mathematics to computer science.  It was fairly difficult, as I know no definitions for that subject, such as "What is a program?"  or "What is a code?"  We managed to painstakingly make it through though, through such questions as, "Prove that most real numbers are useless."

After class Sarah and I had planned to go punting, but there were of course none available at that time.  Instead we made a quest to ASDA, where we bought some alcohol and movies.  She picked up a bundle of "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" and "Knocked Up" and I purchased "Get him to the Greek."  We went back to her dorm and watched "Forgetting Sarah Marshall," drank some Pimms, and had a good evening. 

Sunday I met Dr. Stone at the Cambridge train station.  We walked around Cambridge, toured Pembroke and Kings College campuses.  I hadn't taken the time to truly stop and observe the Pembroke campus, but it really is beautiful.  There is a very large variety of different vegetation and trees, things that you don't see back in America.  During our talks I also learned that he is a chemist and plays the trombone, enjoying jazz.  We had tea in a nice little tea shop, and when we came out there were 6 beautiful Jags.  I put up some pictures of them.  It was the 50th anniversary of the Jaguar E-Type.

Sunday night I spent many hours working on my Drugs and the Mind class neurobiology paper.  The same happened the next morning until Lecture.  In the evening Sarah and I attempted to find a DDR machine in Cambridge, but there was no luck.  There used to be one here, but it is at least no in the same place that it used to be.  I bet there is one somewhere, but I can't find any posting on the internet.  Argh!

Today consisted of seminar, buying a present for my sister's birthday and getting it in the mail, and lecture.  Later I took an ever so magnificent nap and then went to formal hall.  Today was a pretty chill day.  Tomorrow I go to seminar early to watch a movie called Trainspotting, and then I'm done with classes for this module, minus an exam Friday.

Hopefully there will be more punting soon.  Be sure to look at the few pictures I uploaded as well. I may go to London Sunday, that will hopefully create something interesting to read.  I appreciate your continued reading, and I can't wait to see all of my South Carolina friends soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment