Wednesday 6 July 2011

July 5th

The morning started of well with a successful presentation in my Drugs and the Mind class.  Make a note, however, of the fact that at the beginning of class the professor asked to borrow my pen.  Of the four people he asked to present the article I was the only one who actually came up with a powerpoint and all.  Afterwards I purchased and umbrella and a cell phone.  My number is 07581 697710 if you can call UK mobiles without being gouged.  The Drugs in the Mind lecture met soon after.  It was a bit of a bore.  We were going over basic neurobiology.  I had seen a good deal of it before, but what I hadn't seen was mainly just systems and pathways--the reasons that I switched from biology to chemistry.

Afterwards I snagged a "seafood wrap" (still no clue what was in it, but it was tasty, though I preferred the bacon, chicken, and onion sandwhich from the day before) and headed back to my housing.  There I began work on this blog and talked to my girlfriend for a bit before she went to bed.  Later on I went out on a quest for post-it notes and to the post office.  So who do I run into at the post office?  Dr. Sarnyai from Drugs and the Mind.  He was there with his wife, it sounded like Deutsch but there are several languages that sound a bit like it I believe.  Anyway, he asked to borrow my pen.  Because he needed to fill out the stuff he needed to mail. I complied, of course.

I headed to supper about 5.45.  They began serving at six.  If I hadn't been there a bit early, I would have had to wait in a humongous line and been very late to the following plenary lecture.  Jonathan, a psych major from Yale joined me at dinner and we went to the CUS for the lecture together.  I looked over at him and he looked a bit confused.  I noticed his phone was all in Russian.

"Accidentally put it in Russian?"
"Oh no, I can read the Russian just fine, I just can't figure out how to use the phone!"


At least in South Carolina, it's rare to find someone that can read/speak russian.  The lecture was on why Cambridge is unique.  It was quite interesting and I learned a little background on the historic city.

I have finally caught up with my backlog of events...perhaps the future posts will be a little less what I did, or at least include a little more of that I think or of the things I am learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment